The Veterans Memorial Museum’s Stuart M5A1 Light Tank (Serial Number 5188) was manufactured by Cadillac Motor Car Division of General Motors Corporation and delivered to the U.S. Army Ordnance Department on 11-4-1943.
Designated as the M3 Light Tank and supplied to the British prior to the United States entering World War II. The M3’s were also the first tanks crewed by Americans to see tank to tank battle in World War II.
The M48 Patton tank saw service from 1953 through the 1990s. They were eventually phased out by the M60 tank which began production in 1961. The U.S. Veterans Memorial Museum’s example saw service with the United States Marine Corps in 1958.